In a worst case scenario fantasy development leads to a situation where the business under change is terminated. At least it causes severe consequences that undermine the whole change process and have long lasting negative effects.
- Business values are incorrectly defined
- Big changes are needed immediately after development
- Development times get too long
- Total development costs raise significantly
- Motivation of the people involved goes down
- Threshold to further business changes gets higher
It is quite common that such failures “just happen” and there is no concentrated effort to improve capabilities to better handle business changes even if they can on a long run have significant effect on both profitability and success of a company or an organization.